Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shabbos Candles

From a Journal/Diary Entry of her brother Yossi's Bar-Mitzvah
Teves 19-21 5752 / Thurs-Shabbos Dec 26-28
Dear Diary,
At about 2pm, I went to deliver flowers, along with a card, a Challah roll, and of course, a smile to the Jewish patients at Albany Med. It felt good inside, to see that even some of the patients were appreciative (although some couldn’t show it) and it was good even to see the encouraging smile of the nurses. I couldn’t help it but feel proud that I could give them a taste of Shabbos/Yiddishkeit.
By the time I came back all the cousins were here… and it was almost Shabbos.
As I waved my hands 3 times around the Shabbos candles, I felt calm, peaceful, and full of warmth. No words can describe the wonderful feeling a girl / woman has, as she brings in Shabbos with the waving of her hands, and her soft and gentle Bracha. Just the experience says it all.
It was the time to realize the special and holiness of Shabbos. I looked beside me. Here was my cousin: Nechama Dina Piekarski, only a year younger than me. And there was another cousin Sossy Zaklos, just two years older than me.
How fortunate am I to have such a big family, ka”h, with so many cousins and close friends. These are the special people with whom we share our happy memories and even the sad ones. How fortunate am I! … I thought to myself.
Thank you for listening dearest diary, love always, Esty Rubin

No comments:

Post a Comment